August 20, 2014

American Tribal Style

I began dancing American Tribal Style after seeing a show that Crestone Tribal put on here in Crestone in 2011. It featured Carolena Nericcio and Colleena Shakti, among other great, talented dancers. The strength, the beauty - which were simultaneously so graceful - fascinated me. I went to the next beginner's class and loved it. Seeing the art of this dance opened my horizons as an artist. I've really enjoyed trying to capture, in paintings, the movement, the elegance, the colors, the force, the femininity among other things.
There is no doubt that the dance has helped connect me to my femininity. I feel that I have come to place of reconciliation with my own womanhood; something I didn't even know I needed. I feel more comfortable in this aspect, and also more confident in myself. It doesn't matter that we are different physically; the joy when we dance together is the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment